Re: 0-6-0 yard switcher

John Stutz

Interesting photo Nigel

Do you have any details on the NWN&C/AR&C narrow gauge coal hoppers?  Presumably they are southbound to the Great Falls connection, for Montana destinations.  While the SG cars, five boxes, two gons and a stock car; are headed for the CPR connection. While we are accustomed to coal moving in hoppers and gondolas, in this time frame some roads, including the CPR, shipped much of their locomotive coal in box and stock cars.  Presumably this was to prevent pilferage from loaded cars held near coaling facilities. Thus the car ratios seen here, which was probably aken from another house car's roof.

John

On October 19, 2021 5:05 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:

John,

The "Alberta Lines" had 3 purpose-built 0-6-0 yard shifters.1 Baldwin, 2 Hinkley. The Baldwin was lettered for the Great Falls & Canada Railway when built, presumably rostered in Great Falls, MT, the Hinkleys would have been rostered in Lethbridge and possibly Dunmore, AB as part of the North Western Navigation and Coal Co., later the Alberta Railway & Coal Co. Photo below says Baldwin #1, I think it is one of the Hinkley locomotives, as the tender doesn't look to be sloped and domes are wrong for the Baldwin.

Nigel

image.png

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:18 PM John Stutz < john.stutz@...> wrote:
Nigel

Interesting.  Purpose built switchers were fairly rare on North American common carrier narrow gauge lines.  I only knew of the D&RG/RGW 0-6-0t's,  a pair of ~1880 Baldwins on the NdM, and the Oahu's four outside framed 0-6-0's.  Which last shows how far I have to reach to find examples.

Porter built a number of 0-6-0's, but the common carrier examples seem to have been purchased as early road engines, and only later downgraded to switching.  Most seem to have been for industrial users.

Anybody else have examples of such switchers.

Lackawanna Iron and Steel had an interesting borderline example: A large 3'gauge, inside framed 0-8-0 weighing in at 78,760 lb on drivers, with close coupled drivers and notable for a 6' wide grate Wootten firebox and center cab.  Presumably it was intended for heavy switching around a steel plant,

On October 19, 2021 6:11 AM Nigel Phillips < nigelp18000@...> wrote:

LOL - this is an HOn3 group. HO switchers are readily available. Unlike HOn3 ones.

I do have a plan B. I have the major dimensions of the Alberta Railway and Coal Co. Baldwin 0-6-0 from 1890, as well as some photographs from around that time. The other switchers in the system were 2  Hinkley 0-6-0s from 1888. That one needs a trip to Boston, as online records are scarce.

Nigel

On Monday, October 18, 2021, Ric Case < ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
Nigel I must have missed you looking for a narrow gauge switch engine!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 18, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Nigel Phillips < nigelp18000@...> wrote:

Interesting chase. Thanks, everybody for the suggestions. Many of the models suggested so far seem to be HO, not HOn3. I looked at the early MDC catalogs , seems the switcher is HO. No mention of a HOn3 (that said, I could only find 1949 and 1955) There are a couple of 0-6-0 tender locomotives on eBay at the moment, both with regular tenders. The PSC model looks to be what I am really looking for, few and far though.

The best pathway at the moment looks like a collection of parts from PSC (if they still have them)  and some custom etches, if I want something that came out of Bladin in 1890.

I knew modeling in this scale could be difficult with regard to rolling stock, but not this difficult...might just be too many challenges though.

Nigel

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 12:40 AM Ric Case < ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
I have 2 Omaha 0-6-0 with slope back tenders and 1ma and pa with slope back tender here to receive decoders at this time!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 17, 2021, at 11:29 PM, Nigel Phillips < nigelp18000@...> wrote:

RIc,

There are, but not as far as i can see with sloped tenders. Needs to be a Baldwin or close as well. The PSC one is close enough. Hen's teeth though.

Nigel

On Sunday, October 17, 2021, Ric Case < ebtmodeler@...> wrote:
There are quite a few brass offerings!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 17, 2021, at 2:45 PM, John Stutz < john.stutz@...> wrote:

Nigel

Model Die Casting did an SP (?) 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender.   This was a 1950's model, all in die-cast zinc alloy.  Kemtron offered brass piston valve cylinders and working(?) outside Walscharts valve gear to update the original slide valve cylinders and Stephenson gear.  I think these are still n the PSC catalogue, along with other parts.

If this suits your needs, I have most of a part-built kit on the shelves.

John Stutz
On October 17, 2021 10:46 AM Nigel Phillips < nigelp18000@...> wrote:

I need some help here. I have been looking for an 0-6-0 yard switcher with sloped-back tender. Was such a model ever made?

Nigel