Re: FED 2-6-0 - look for ideas to fix derailing problems

martin feldwick

I found the springs I use for tender trucks ,they are OK for most brass  I find but might need cutting down ,of course the standy by of old biro springs might also work

Martin F

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:08 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
Hi Martin.

In addition to adding some weight to the leading truck frames and some weight to the tender, and making sure the wheels are in gauge, check for concentricity on the axle. How good is the fit between the frame hole and the screw?(Lateral movement is not good).  Springing is probably something you should do last. The spring loading will depend on the load on the axle. Are the drivers sprung? (Not familiar with this model). Do you have pickups on the wheels? If so, one side or both? Are the wheel treads flat or beveled? Flat ones tend to hunt more than beveled ones.

With the tender, make sure the CoG is central.

Exactly where does it derail in a turnout? Over the frog? Between the closure rails and the frog point? Through the check rails? One direction or both? Main road or exit or both? What size turnouts? If the flange is hitting the frog point that could be the problem. How sharp are your frog points?

Turnouts have changed since these models were designed. Modern turnouts are a lot less forgiving when it comes to under or over gauge stock. Check the back-to-back of the wheels. (Track is measured by gauge, wheels by their back-to-back).

Apologies for all the questions, but if you carry out a systematic examination you should be able to pinpoint the problem. I suspect new wheels would solve the derailing.

Nigel

On Sunday, October 3, 2021, captaindavekrembs via groups.io <captaindavekrembs=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It has been a long time ago, but I added a spring to the pilot by drilling into the frame enough to fit a spring to push down (in front of the mounting screw) . May have used part of a coupler spring.

On Sunday, October 3, 2021, 05:05:22 AM CDT, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:

I have made replacement springs by winding phosphor bronze wire around a small screw driver.  As they have a habit of getting lost over time, a lot of my  brass engines now have these springs and they run fine.  I have also heard that a small lead weight on the pilot truck will improve tracking but I have never tried it.

Russ

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, 2:33 AM Martin Fischer <Martinfischer8@...> wrote:
Hello group,

several years ago I bought a Spartan FED 2-6-0. As I live in Germany, I
decided to have it remotored, detailed and painted before it was shipped
to me. So I have never seen it in its original state.

The model looks great and has a Locodec re-motor kit installed. So it
runs great on straight track as well. But it doesn't go through turnouts!

Examination shows that the lead truck and the tender trucks derail in
this situation. A closer look shows that

a. there are no springs on the tender truck screws. Looking around it
might be that PSC has appropriate replacements parts. But as I had never
seen the original parts I cannot be sure. So if anybody here could
measure the springs at the tender truck of such an engine, more
information would be welcome.

b. in regard to the lead truck I have no idea that to do. I remember
reading about glueing a small weight to the top. Would that a possible
answer to the problem? Any other suggestions? Again, how was that solved
in the original state?

Regards
Martin