Re: Narrow gauge - in 1905

Russ Norris

Well, it's certainly more challenging that using Bachmann or Walthers, but at the same time iy's a lot more fun!

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 8:59 PM Gary Crawford <gdm6605@...> wrote:
Russ,  I find HOn3 a craft scale/guage, not everything is available, and I have to think a project thru. I can't just go out and buy it all. Modeling the Cincinnati, Georgetown, & Portsmouth pre1900. Gary

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 8:44 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
A lot more fun than modeling one of the standard gauge lines. Plus knowing that no major RTR  supplier is going to produce the locomotives.....Modeling a line that was only in existence for 10-15 years in the 1880s-1900s appeals to anybody interested in research. Plus I like modeling in quirky gauges. HO/OO gets boring after a while.

Nigel

On Friday, June 18, 2021, Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
So, gentlemen, if narrow gauge was so inefficient and in most cases was phased out early on, why are you interested in such a dead end for North American railroading?  And why is it that every year thousands gather for the National Narrow Gauge Convention and many more belong to this HOn3 list What is it that attracts you to what was essentially a dead end for the industry?  Are we just a group of antiquarians?  Why are you here?  Seriously.

Russ

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 6:21 PM Dave Eggleston via groups.io <degg13=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The SPC was a narrow gauge oddity from the start. Engineered more as a standard gauge to move commuters fast up the East Bay and to get tourists into, and long lumber drags out of, Santa Cruz and Felton on standard gauge grades and curvature.

When leased by the SP it was increasingly efficiency-ized; it was a big revenue generator but gauge break was still an issue. Lumber groves expanded, tourist travel increased, east Bay suburbs expanded and the situation just got more bottlenecked. It was a truly odd example and really shoulda started standard gauge but there were a few reasons it didn't. Costs and the lease may have impeded initial SP widening of gauge but by the early '90s it was inevitable and by 1900 things were under way. The effort was only slowed by the quake damage of '06. Already by 1901 cars considered excess by the SP were being transferred from the SPC to handle Tonopah traffic on the Carson & Colorado.

I bet the SP would have standard gauged it by 1886 if they could have...

Dave Eggleston