Re: Early boxcar door latches

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

Brian,

The part I've been using is the Grandt Line/SJ 5095 "Small Hinge Assortment". It comes with two door hasps. One with a padlock and one without. The 5001 set has Camel door hasps which was really a much later design of a hasp. You could cut the Reefer door latch down for the hasp but it doesn't really look right to me. Clear Creek Models made a really nice strap-type Reefer door latch that you could cut the hasp out of and it looked really good. But I haven't seen that part anywhere for years. Someone has to have the molds but, I have no idea who that would be.

What Are you modeling? I'm modeling 4000 series 30ft as rebuilt boxcars.

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 8:09 AM Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:
I know the Grandt Line/SJ 5001 kit has a door with latch attached, but for those that scratch build early box cars what do you use to make your own latches? They are not in the Tichy 5070 kit either.....
I was unsure about some instructions, like Trout Creek, suggesting the Grandt Line 5166 reefer latch would work.

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL