Re: tsunami 2

Dale Buxton

Bob,
I've experienced this peculiarity too and I only have it with Tsunami II decoders with Keep-Alive Circuits installed. I have installed Tsunami II's in a highly modified Westside C-16 and 4 Blackstone Economy Boxcars set as Sound Cars. I've experienced this with every single one of these decoders. The problem only affects the Tsunami II's sound out-put. The problem might be with the consisting of my sound cars to the C-16. So. I always start by deleting all the consists stored in the DCC system.

First I have to ask this. What DCC system are you using? I am wondering if this might have something to do with one or more DCC systems out there.

I run a NCE 5 amp system.

The only cure I've found that seems (most of the time) to fix this is to take the loco or sound car off of the track completely and let it sit for a while with no power whatsoever to it. Since I first encountered this peculiarity, I've never let them sit for less than a half-hour before re-tying to start them up again.

So this is my theory and it is only that. I think the problem has something to do with "In-Rush Track Voltage at System Start-Up. I've read in the NCE and SoundTraxx manuals that there is an In-Rush of Voltage at System Start-Up. I have an electronic voltage meter from American Hobby Distributors called a RRAMP/Meter. The nominal track voltage on an NCE system is 13.9 volts. But at start-up it will jump to as much as 14.1 volts (than I have purposely observed).

This in-rush of track voltage is because the NCE system detects a need for more voltage than the usual nominal track voltage of 13.9 volts in order to power up the "Keep-Alive Units". I only have the 5 Tsunami II's w/Keep-Alive, so I have to wonder if even more Tsunami II's w/Keep-Alive would prolong the duration of this Start-Up voltage in-rush. I've never formally asked this question of NCE or Sound Traxx.

My cure leads me to believe that there is some sort of voltage peak or thermal electronic circuit breaker (or maybe even both?) in the Tsunami II's that is there to protect the sound circuitry. In my theory the Keep-Alive must somehow be wired into the Tsunami II in between the ECB and the Sound Circuit. So when this ECB in the Tsunami II sound circuit detects a higher in-bound voltage than ECB's design limits, the ECB limits what is ultimately getting to the sound circuitry. The ECB must also have a thermal protector and a memory state of the ECB trip threshold being exceeded. I kind of wonder if this memory component to its trip-off state remains at shut-off of power and any power from the Keep-Alive keeps this memory state alive until all of the power is drained from the Keep-Alive.

None of my TCS or Loksound decoders with Keep-Alive (like) circuits exhibit this peculiarity. But allowing the Tsunami II to either cool down or drain completely of any residual power seems to end the problem.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 12:18 PM Robert Veefkind via groups.io <snookdust=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

good afternoon fellow users

I don't run stuff to often but I found after a layoff for a month or 2 my steamers seem to lose their memory. My K-37 had some sounds but the engine would not move and no steam sounds. Reset the on/off a bunch and no help. Complete reset cv 8 =8 but no difference. Another modeler said to reset 16 17 & 30 to 0  no help. Contacted Soundtraxx but no answer yet. Any one else have/had this problem ?    Bob Veefkind