Re: Cutting a large quantity of switch ties

Climax@...

When I hand lay track I first start by taking a 1 x 4 and gluing a 1/8 x 1/8 inch strip along its length. I then start putting ties glue do it. I put a glued down tie on then a non glued down tie, then a glued tie etc until I have about 24 inches of ties. I remove all the ties that are not glued down with a piece of blue painters tape or masking tape. I glue the surface where I want the ties and lay them in place on the glue. The tape keeps the spacing even in a curve. After it dries I just remove the tape and wala it's ready to lay rail on followed by ballast. Switches I draw where I want them, run the above tie strips as above up to where the switches are. I take a premade switch and lay it in place and go around it with a pencil. It clearly shows the spacing and length of each required tie. I just cut to length, and glue them down. I have even used regular length ties in some switches which was prototype on some railroads. Once I reach a point where the standard tie spacing is required, go back to using the painters taped ties. The jig never wears out and is so easy to use I even had my daughter make me strips of ties ready for gluing.
I used a .020 drill to drill holes on every 7th tie to spike Code 70 down. Seemed to help eliminate the disappearing spikes that go twang and you never find them again as you pushed them into an nondrilled tie.

From: Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net>
Sent: May 7, 2021 11:05 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Cutting a large quantity of switch ties

That's a good idea.  Where would one acquire these for HO turnouts?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 5/7/21 8:52 PM, Richard Brennan wrote:
At 07:18 PM 5/7/2021, Bill Lugg wrote:
I've got a situation where I've got to cut switch ties for 24
turnouts that will go in a yard.  Are there any thoughts for a quick
way to do this other than sitting in front of a Chopper for multiple
weeks cutting a few at a time?
Use a laser cut (or similar) 'comb'... which is a fixture slotted to
receive un-cut tie stock
The tie material is inserted against the diverging (curved) side of
the fixture...
the straight side of the comb is left open... and the ties are cut-off
as regularly or irregularly as you prefer.
Blue painter's tape will hold them together nicely as you place them
in the yard.

Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA

Example:
[]