Re: Central Valley trucks

Climax@...

Funny how you just mentioning that brought back some memories of a trip my new wife and I made through Denver to San Francisco and then down to the LA area where we visited with I think I was Geoge Hook of Central Valley.  It was located in kind of an small industrial area, medium size building.  We walked in through the open front garage area and on our right side were a line of women on punch presses, after that another assembling side frames, never saw someone put springs in so quickly and rarely lose any.  Then she put them on a test track where they rolled down an incline and into a tray.  The track had a light bulb which went on if there was a short.  On our left side as we walked in were stacks of prepainted plywood for cars and assembly boxes.  Then there were 55 gallon drums full of wheels, axles, trays of thousands of springs, and other parts for cars.  Over the years the cars are still being built and are just right for some of us period modelers.  I do a lot of repair work and if the finish is really screwed up I refinish the cars and put Clover Dry Transfers on them.  You can see my efforts on www.SierraScaleModels.com and look for the craftsman car section.  I have done over a hundred refinishes. They might not be HOn3 but still quality cars for ideas.

From: John Stutz
Sent: Apr 10, 2021 7:07 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Central Valley trucks

Jim

If these are the original "original Central Valley wheels", one wheel is pressed directly onto the axle and the other pressed over an insulating layer of lacquer.   The insulated side's wheel is not moveable, without risking shorting the wheel-set.   So substitute NWSL SG 26" wheel-sets, which can be re-gauged.  And use a NWSL puller, to preserve the needle point.

John Stutz
On April 10, 2021 3:08 PM Jim Spencer <trainmanjs@...> wrote:

I have an unbuilt standard gauge CV box car kit that has its original CV arch bar trucks. I also have several of their narrow gauge rack bar trucks. In comparing them, the side frames are identical castings. And the bolsters are identical except for length. Furthermore the axle diameters appear to be the same. The narrow gauge wheels appear to be 26”. So unless there is a shoulder on the axles, to me it appears the the narrow gauge wheels can be transposed over to the standard gauge axles, and, voila!, you will have the same squeezed in arrangement needed for the rotaries.