Re: Underbody detailing

Jim Marlett

Being the lazy bum I am, when I have scratch built cars, I do as little as I think I can get away with. It really depends on why you are modeling. Is it to get more cars so you can operate or is it to display them as realistically as possible. It also depends on how much effort you want to put into it. If you are comfortable with a lower level of detail under a car (like me) then don’t beat yourself up about it.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jun 18, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Martin Fischer <Martinfischer8@t-online.de> wrote:

Group,

currently I‘m kitbashing three gondolas. Part of the project is adding a more detailed brake system using the Grandt Line detail set.
This leads to my question:

If you look at car kits by eg. Grandt or Precision Scale a lot of time is required to detail the underbody. Once you put the finished car on track this is barely visible.

Probably the decision depends on the number of cars needed. Also competition models are a different thing.

Looking at published photos doesn’t give any clue. Probably everybody showcases the best models on that occasion.

So do you think this is worth it?
Do you detail all cars to the same level?
Do you detail them at all?

Just curious.

Regards
Martin