Query for rolling stock suppliers ...

Richard Main

Hi all,

I am planning a new modern-era HO layout, and am considering making room for a HOn3 tourist / heritage railroad (ie: like Puffing Billy here in Melbourne, Australia, or the Cumbres & Toltec in Colorado and New Mexico).

I have a few queries for the brains trust:
*  I am considering Peco code 70 HOn3 track, is this a good option?
*  I can only find Blackstone Models as a motive power supplier (unless I go brass), are there any other suppliers?
*  I'm not adverse to building kits, but are there models of Southern Pacific narrow gauge? I understand there was a planned / announced brass set of SP rolling sock, but the manufacturer closed down and didn't do the models

My current thinking / wish list is that my layout is proto-freelanced around Sarcamento to Dunsmuir, and the narrow gauge line is an old logging line that was saved by the local train preservation society, with loco's and rolling stock sourced from old salvaged SP and leased equipment. It won't be a logging line, but it will run a work train (leaning towards the Sierra West Models kits, if I can get some), and a few passenger cars (a few trains each way). Would ideally like both steam and early diesel (to run trains on total-fire ban days!).

I have the last few years of the HOn3 Annual (a gold mine of information), but am after some more leads if I can get some.

Any thoughts / comments / suggestions / pointers welcome.

Kind regards to all,

Richard Main
Melbourne, Australia