Re: Baldwin narrow gauge locomotives

Randy Hees

I just got word that our local library reopened.   I will take my micro film and find the table of measurements by drawing number...  Do you have the class and drawing numbers handy?

Randy

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 2:40 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
Thanks Randy.

The Degoyler website I have already looked at, what a great collection. If they have the diagrams I am good to go. Very interesting how Baldwin coded their builds. Quite instructive in fact. The order specification  sheet has lots of information, but as I am leaning towards generating etches a diagram is essential. Numbers located at top rhs. No brakes on the engine, but on the tender trucks. And an unflanged middle driver on a Mogul. Good to know as this level of detail is not clear from old photographs.

I just received an email that the milling service I was hoping to use for the frames is no longer available, lack of demand. Might try the old way of brass sheet tack soldered, drills and files. I

Nigel

On Monday, March 1, 2021, Randy Hees <randyhees@...> wrote:

When researching a Baldwin locomotive, you need to look at the class number and drawing number, not the common builder’s number found on the builder’s plate attached to the smoke box.  Baldwin Class numbers look like 8-18c-17. (8 total wheels, 18 is a reference to Cylinder size, C is 4 driving wheels (assuming all non driving wheels are a lead truck, and 17 is the 17th locomotive built to that class)

For each locomotive or group of identical locomotives there is a specification sheet, which can be found on line at the DeGolyer Library at SMU  (The DeGolyer library will soon become your new best friend)

Start at Pacificng.com’s Baldwin page http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=/ref/locobuilders/blw/index.htm  Which has a description of the Class number system and links to various pages at the DeGolyer, especially the specification sheet page https://digitalcollections.smu.edu/digital/collection/rwy/id/32

Find your locomotive’s specification sheet  The specification sheet will provide lots of information including how the locomotive was painted, about cab style, injectors, dome size…   and find the drawing number on the right side of the header of the specification sheet.

Drawing numbers are unique to each class organized by class…   So a 8-18c drawing 1, is not the same as a 10-22d drawing 1, but in some cases a 8-16c might be built to a 8-14c drawing…

The class lists also have the drawing number, but those lists are not on line (but have been microfilmed)  The class list microfilm also includes a list of basic measurements by plan.

DeGolyer, the California State Railroad Museum, and the Smithsonian all have some Baldwin drawings.  We have a few up at Pacificng.

I have copies of all the paint information and take requests... I have the drawing index but it's on microfilm and libraries are still closed here.

Randy Hees

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 11:18 PM Nigel Phillips <nigelp18000@...> wrote:
Can anybody point me to where I can find Baldwin narrow gauge diagrams with dimensions? Specifically 2-6-0 and 2-8-0 locomotives around 1890. I am looking at one of the major issues of modeling in HOn3, namely the locomotives. I'm used to scratch building and bashing, getting some frames made, and constructing an appropriately gauged chassis with a narrow gearbox and motor would seem to be the best way to go. Milled/drilled or etched, along with appropriate wheels, crankpins, rods, etc. from Alan Gibson Workshop in the UK.

I looked at using an N-scale chassis and an HO body, under scale wheels and an N-scale body with a larger smokestack, domes, cab, etc. or an overscale HO body would appear to be the most obvious issues. Plus regauging the wheels in what will be a split chassis design. Blackstone models? Way too expensive for my budget.

Reason for this? I came across the Alberta Navigation and Coal Company/Great Falls and Canada Railway recently. Lots of modeling interest. Opened in 1890, 200 miles long, 3-foot gauge, changed to standard Gauge by 1903. Lots of dual gauge tracks during the conversion. Ran by the Canadian Pacific and Great Northern respectively after a lot of politicking, financial shenanigans, and buyouts.

I have found the listing of 3 locomotives erected for the Alberta railroad in 1890 in the Baldwin records I have accessed online, plus generic illustrations of the various narrow gauge locomotives in the Baldin catalogs, I might be able to get the axle spacings and wheel diameters from what I have found so far, but blueprints or erecting diagrams with the actual dimensions would be more useful.

Any assistance appreciated.