Re: Art Supply Store Visit

John Stutz

Jim & Dusty

I have used graphite on raw basswood to get a driftwood effect suitable for aged standing wood.  This is just a light application from the side of a graphite pencil, smeared none too uniformly with an artist's rolled paper stumpf.  Key is to keep the initial application light.  The result on such white wood is a light and slightly iridescent gray, characteristic of raw wood that has stood in moderately wet weather for a few decades.

Jim Vail once suggested lightly weathering wood sheathed cars by a applying a sharp wedge pointed graphite pencil to the grooves between boards where the paint first breaks down.  I have fond this quite effective.

In both cases i have used ordinary artist's or drafting pencils, of the sort specifically made of graphite.  I have not yet tried either graphite sticks, or water soluble graphite pencils, both of which are available in a variety of tints.

John Stutz

On January 24, 2021 2:38 PM Jim Marlett < jmarlett@...> wrote:

I agree.Galvanized metal I’ve seen loses that metallic sheen pretty quickly. Personally, I wouldn’t bother, but every eye is different. As for the water soluble graphic (did you mean graphite?) stick, give it a try. If you don’t like it, wash it off or paint over it. You may be on the cutting edge of a new technique. If you are talking about graphite, I would think it will just be black, but it would be interesting to know for sure. Powdered graphite does have a sheen to it, but it is way too dark IMHO.

Jim Marlett