Re: Art Supply Store Visit

Jim Marlett

I agree.Galvanized metal I’ve seen loses that metallic sheen pretty quickly. Personally, I wouldn’t bother, but every eye is different. As for the water soluble graphic (did you mean graphite?) stick, give it a try. If you don’t like it, wash it off or paint over it. You may be on the cutting edge of a new technique. If you are talking about graphite, I would think it will just be black, but it would be interesting to know for sure. Powdered graphite does have a sheen to it, but it is way too dark IMHO.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jan 24, 2021, at 2:32 PM, Ric Case <ebtmodeler@gmail.com> wrote:

Dusty: what age are you going for?
How old would the roof actually be?
Normal aging starts the first day in the sun!
Old corrugated iron would start turning dull gray!
This would wind up rusting along the edges and any nail holes.
Age of the structure and locale will determine what color you will be working to!
New building semi shiny!
Older, many shades of grey and rust.
Just my views over the last 5 decades!
Most of my structures have been on the railroad for many years!
I model the EBT in 1947.
Not many buildings around the railroad were very new!
So I color the roofs to represent decades of exposure!
Your building your choice.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio