Re: What got you in to HOn3?

Jim Marlett

I guess mine is the same old story. Always interested in train from as early as I can remember. Then I forgot all about model railroads from about high school until I was in the Army. I was stationed in Colorado Springs and being poor as church mice, for entertainment my wife and I would drive the roads in the mountains behind the Springs. I remarked that they looked like abandoned railroad grades. My wife bought a little booklet on the railroads of Cripple Creek that confirmed I was right. Next thing you know I’m showing up at the local hobby shop, Lemle’s Roundhouse. I still was doing standard gauge until visiting Chama (1971) and riding the Silverton train. The hook was set and after getting out of the Army I converted the little switching layout to narrow gauge and started my narrow gauge empire (that’s a joke) back in Kansas. We spent many summer vacations camping along the Rio Grande Southern when our kids were growing up and if that doesn’t stoke the narrow gauge fires, nothing will. I’ve had many hiatuses through the years as kids and other interests displaced model railroading, but when I retired and moved to a different house, I began working in earnest again.

The thing I like about HOn3 is it has some of the advantages of N scale while still being HO scale and short trains are the norm. I also like mountain scenery.

The things to look out for are the same as for any scale and gauge, except that you are likely to become a zealot for narrow gauge.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/