Re: What got you in to HOn3?

Dale Buxton

1). What got you into HOn3?  What appealed to you or what was the driving factor that moved you to HOn3

How I came to HOn3 sort of happened before I was born.
Two branches of my family settled in Silver Plume, CO in the 1870's. The C&S tracks ended up going right through my paternal great grandparents back yard in Silver Plume. One of my distant relatives was a carman on the Argentine Central. A great grandmother on the other side of the family worked at the lunch pavilion at the wye in Silver Plume. Finally, My mothers father was a trainman for the D&SL and later the D&RGW. So my awareness of trains and of the narrow gauge was with me as some of my earliest memories without really knowing what the 3ft. gauge was.

Some of my earliest memories of childhood toys are of trains. My mother's father loved to work on the RR's and I think he did his best to make sure I loved that life too.

When I was in my teens, Mal Ferrell's "Silver San Juan" was published, and I guess that was the final catalyst that set me on the path of HOn3 modeling. When I was very young my dad had an American Flyer S gauge that he let me play with. He said it was mine but we know the real truth about that. But, he discovered that HO scale took up less space for more trains in the same space that the S scale was taking up. So we switched to HO scale. So when I got the HOn3 bug, I was only changing gauges not scales.

2). What is the one thing you really love about HOn3?
HO is a scenery scale and I really like creating life-like scenery. Having 3ft. gauge trains running through big scenery is a way for me to recreate a bygone era that I never really saw but I wish I could have.

3). What is the one thing you watch out for in HOn3?
I would say that has got to be over-weighted rolling stock. Our little engines don't have much pulling power to begin with and too much weight in the cars will greatly detract from their performance.

Dale Buxton

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:21 AM Craig Linn <drgw346@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to do a presentation for my railroad club on "The case for HOn3".  I was going to give my view points, but I thought that it might be cool to get a broader viewpoint from a larger group on what got them into HOn3, and then weave that into my presentation.

So my question for you all:

1). What got you into HOn3?  What appealed to you or what was the driving factor that moved you to HOn3
2). What is the one thing you really love about HOn3?
3). What is the one thing you watch out for in HOn3?

For me I've had a love of narrow gauge since a child, coming on family trips to Colorado and South Dakota's Black Hills as long as I can remember.  The small engines and big mountains really got me hooked.  When Blackstone showed up on scene that pretty much helped push me over the edge for HOn3.

What I really love about HOn3 is the tight nit communities.  I think you might say that about many of the scales, but I do feel like I get a wealth of information from many members of this community.  From Jim Vail to Craig Symington to Mike Conder to.....the list goes on and on....all help with any questions we might have and had been/have been always willing to help each other out.

The one thing to watch out for...be aware of your tolerances.  Whether it be for the tolerances on tunnels or for track work or distances between tracks...make sure you be aware and keep an eye on those tolerances.

Hoping this will generate some discussions and will help out with my presentation.  If you have anything you want to contribute, I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
Craig Linn