Re: Difficult Spikes

Jim Marlett

I’m 75 years old and my wife thinks I’m crazy for hand laying this layout. She may be right, but I enjoy it, at least when it works. I think Micro Engineering flex track probably looks better and is easier to lay. Maybe I’ll give in before this is all over. I think if I were to start over, I would use code 55 flex with hand laid switches, but I already have too much code 70. I thought about mixing them, but code 55 makes my code 70 look even bigger. I’ll just stick with the big stuff and hope not too many people notice,

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jan 11, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Climax@mindspring.com <Climax@Mindspring.com> wrote:

When I use to lay my own C70 rail and make my own switches etc I spiked every 7th tie. I first drilled .012 holes on either side of the rail, then pushed in the c70 spikes. I lost a lot that went to never never land and were never found, but for the most part it all worked out just fine. Now days, and at 74, my eye sight is not as good as it once was, probably to many hits the eye with flying spikes, sp I use Shinohara Flex track and switches. I still do make special things like gauge separation and special use switches though. I just figure that today I got better things to do than mumble under my breath after another spike disappears.