Re: Couplers for HOn3 (Was Couplers for Precision Scale HOn3 BRASS)

Dale Buxton

Well, I’ve watched trainmen in Chama use brake clubs to align couplers prior to coupling up to them. So even the full size stuff occasionally needs to do this drill.

I created a printed coupler box that would self center a Sergent Sharon coupler and I sell them on Shapeways. Sales are almost non-existent as it is not really that big of an issue to align the couplers the way the real railroads do it. I knew they would not be a product of high demand even before I started.  I mostly created the coupler boxes to prove the the Sergent coupler could be made to self-center.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 17:51 Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:
Since we have drifted from the original topic, I have changed the subject heading.

I wonder if you use picks for uncoupling and took the Sergents plan of having to align the couplers prior to coupling, would there be any other problems with not having centering couplers?

On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:23 PM, Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...> wrote:

I’m intrigued. The late Dave Garcia and I tried that right after the 705’s came out and there were problems. Like, without the 705’s unique diamond shaped pivot arrangement, we couldn’t get the coupler to center properly all the time. And without the flat spot at the top of that diamond, the little spring kept coming out during reassembly. How did you over come that?

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 17:01 Mark Lewis <narrowrails12@...> wrote:
Dale,

Your observations are not 100% correct.  The 705 coupler, when removed from the supplied draft gear box, will drop right into Micro-Trains HOn3 rolling stock coupler box mountings and are a big improvement over the original coupler.

Mark Lewis
Narrow gauge modeling in N.C.