Re: DCC and Uintah 2-6-6-2

Dale Buxton

Contact “The Shay Fixer” he has a great many PFM Uintah and Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2 repair parts.

Dale Buxton

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:36 cmdrwmriker <banjobill@q.com> wrote:
I am sitting here looking at my PFM 2-6-6-2.  I have it apart; it is unpainted, and I have a split gear on the drive mechanism.  I am ignorant of most of what I have read here about gear sizes, etc.  I contacted NWSL and they did not have the replacement gear but suggested I use one of their Hi-Lo drives.  Ok, now you know where I have been.  The question is about DCC.  There is not much empty space in this model.  But, if I am going to use it, which I would very much like to do, I would want DCC and sound.  And LED lighting.  And a keep alive circuit!  LOL!  talk about 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag!  I am thinking if the boiler weight is removed, there may be enough room for the electronics (a TSU2 will fit inside)-the speaker can be in the coal bin (no tube vents-or maybe fake ones).  Actually, looking at the coal bin, perhaps if I cut open the bottom of it, there would be enough room for a sugar cube inside and then I could multiply the vent tube "holes" to let the sound out.  This would be almost easy if there were no wires.  The water tanks can be filled with liquid gravity or some other heavy material to recapture the mass of the boiler weight.  Has anyone out there done this modification? If so, a photo or two or a billion words would be appreciated.
ol' bill
P.S.  as an "out" I do have an aux water car...almost makes the mod easy...Except for those dang wires!