Re: looking for an HOn3 locomotive

martin feldwick

What ever you do dont buy an FED  ,Far Eastern Distributor  ,Spartan series 4-4-0 0r 2-6-0 until you have some brass  experience under your belt .Great little basic models and cheap but hard to get running  well  or even at all unless experienced .They can be tempting .I have just bought two but I am far into the addiction ..Stick to Blackstone at first as above advice
Martin

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
These days Ebay is best source, here's a search I just did:

LOTS available but not cheap.  I'd recommend the Blackstone C-19 here if you have DCC:

That price is good and this will probably be the best runner you'll find without tinkering.  I'm not sure I'd go much over that price but I haven't been watching the market.  There are a lot of good brass locos out there on Ebay, but if you're not experienced in tuning brass steam I'd steer clear of them at first.

There are other sources for brass that are reputable and who will test a brass loco before selling/sending, and that is VERY important for a first loco.  Others will probably be able to direct you to them, as I'm not in the loco market anymore (I have what I need for now).  Also, recognize that many, if not most, brass locos are NOT DCC-equiped.  That may or may not be an advantage.

Mike Conder

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM Steven Meyerhoff <sbmeyerhoff@...> wrote:
Hi All

First time posting and glad to be in this group now. I have just started my dual-gauge layout. HO-HOn3. I've got the wood for the layout put together with roadbed and track. I've got it all dcc wired up but I've run into a snag as there seems to be no HOn3 engines available anywhere. Can't really test anything that I've done on the HOn3 track lines.  I am on the lookout for a HOn3 engine. If someone knows of a place where I could find one, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve