Re: Backdrop construction

Climax@...

Besides, with aluminum there is no way to get the small deviations or wrinkles out of it that occur while handling it.  Plastic will retain its shape.  How are you going to attach it to the uprights?  I suggest an 1x2 or something that is strong that you can cut a grove in for it to set in, then cut a similar one for the top rail.  You can either glue or screw the 1x2's to the uprights and slide the plastic in or set it in and cap it with the top piece.  ON corners, you can let it be free and held by the straight sections.  It will bend easily.  A railroad I built previously I used standard dry wall and then thinner dry wall that I presoak and form around a 24 inch diameter drum.  After it dried I and was able to take the curved pieces and pop them in and up against some 12" radius plywood tops and bottoms that I cut for it to be nailed to.  Some dry all mud and sanding and the corners were gone.

Dave

-Original Message----- 
Sent: Dec 13, 2020 4:52 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HOn3] Backdrop construction

Styrene is also not expensive in big sheets.  Our local plastics store has 4x8 0.040" sheets for $21.75

Mike  Conder 

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, 2:41 PM lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:
Styrene does not crease and you have serious issues in the alum. With no room for error. The 050 sheets of 4x8 weld together perfectly with no other work needed before painting.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Sun, Dec 13, 2020, 1:33 PM Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:
I wasn't sure if that was still available.  I am really interested in trying that but may need 36"wide im some areas. 

Mike Conder

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020, 8:18 AM John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:
We have not mentioned a popular backdrop material: aluminum trim coil stock.  Comes in white rolls at Home Depot, about $93 for 50ft x 24".  It bends to any radius.  If you want to order from various suppliers, you can even get blue.

--
lloyd lehrer

Join HOn3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.