Re: Backdrop construction

Mike Conder

Bill, their name is Plasticare.   About a block west and a block south of Santa Fe & Orchard in Littleton (or is it Englewood there? Close enough)

Ok it's Englewood.

4211 S Natches Ct, Englewood, CO 80110
(303) 781-1171

And they have amazing stuff.

For about $50 I bought 4x8 sheets of 0.040" & 0.030" & 0.020" and had them cut into 12"x12" squares.  Haven't bought plain sheet styrene in years!

So if you know the widths, they can cut it for you lengthwise, makes it easy.  Otherwise yes, long straight edge and I'd use an acrylic scriber from HD or Lowe's in the section where they sell acrylic sheet for windows.  Just scribe and snap!

Thanks place has all kinds of plastics, I bought Delrin 13/4" rods to use as pins for aligning my modules.  And all kind of casting resins and supplies.

Hope that helps.

Mike Conder

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 9:17 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
Lots of good ideas.  It certainly wouldn't be portable.  I'm a one man
show so it would need to be fairly short sections I could lift out in
the event of a problem behind the backdrop.  It's all just straight
track, but Murphy is alive and well, so I know something will happen at
some point.  I've got an inexpensive security camera system set up to
watch trains pass behind the "curtain".

I've just got to figure out how to mesh them together so they stay in
line with one another and so the whole thing doesn't come crashing down
if I take one out.

Mike, can you tell me where you get the styrene from?  I guess you'd
just cut it with a sharp knife and loooong straight edge, right?

Paul, likewise how do you cut the material you use?

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Bill Lugg