Re: Backdrop construction

Bill Lugg

Lots of good ideas.  It certainly wouldn't be portable.  I'm a one man show so it would need to be fairly short sections I could lift out in the event of a problem behind the backdrop.  It's all just straight track, but Murphy is alive and well, so I know something will happen at some point.  I've got an inexpensive security camera system set up to watch trains pass behind the "curtain".

I've just got to figure out how to mesh them together so they stay in line with one another and so the whole thing doesn't come crashing down if I take one out.

Mike, can you tell me where you get the styrene from?  I guess you'd just cut it with a sharp knife and loooong straight edge, right?

Paul, likewise how do you cut the material you use?

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it.

Bill Lugg

On 12/10/20 5:27 PM, Mike Conder wrote:
Removable or portable?  It depends a bit on how permanent it needs to be, as something that's moved weekly or for shows would be very different from something behind a layout that may only be moved when moving to a new house.  It also depends on how long it needs to be.

Personally I'm at the latter stage and am seriously considering the 0.040" to 0.060" styrene.  We can get that in 4x8 sheets here in the Denver area.  I've also heard good things about some sort of flooring product like linoleum that can be one long sheet.  Also I've heard of aluminum and/or galvanized being available in long sheets/rolls but those may be harder to cut etc.  All these would need to be mounted on a frame I think.

And just this week I heard of a thick artists' paper material that is some sort of sandwich (like foamcore but not sure it has the foam part) that takes paint extremely well (and probably glue for a backdrop photo) but I've forgotten the name.

Mike Conder

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 4:23 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net <mailto:luggw1@risebroadband.net>> wrote:

I'm getting close to needing to construct a removable backdrop on my
layout.  It will be in sections and be about 24" to 30" tall, hiding
track that runs behind a yard.  I'm considering either 1/8"
Masonite (or
whatever they call it these days) or luan.  I figure the lighter the
better and I'd like to form part of it into a curve so flexibility
is a
consideration too.  I've never used luan so don't know what it's like.

What do you that have handled both recommend?

Thanks
Bill Lugg