Re: Backdrop construction

Ric Case

My take on luan is it a plywood product and even the thin grade will split when you try to bend it. I have used 1/8 inch Masonite un tempered you can wet lightly and it will bend nicely. Screw it in place let it dry and it will hold the shape when you have to remove it!
Luan also is very grainy!

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Dec 10, 2020, at 6:28 PM, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:

bill, have you considered 4x8 sheets of .050 styrene, it will stand on end and curve and takes paint.  Luan is  much lighter than both styrene and masonite ( the untempered is lighter than the tempered version), but not as flexible. It may still handle a curve depending on the radius.

lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
I'm getting close to needing to construct a removable backdrop on my
layout.  It will be in sections and be about 24" to 30" tall, hiding
track that runs behind a yard.  I'm considering either 1/8" Masonite (or
whatever they call it these days) or luan.  I figure the lighter the
better and I'd like to form part of it into a curve so flexibility is a
consideration too.  I've never used luan so don't know what it's like.

What do you that have handled both recommend?

Thanks
Bill Lugg

--
lloyd lehrer