Re: Roller gauges

Jim Marlett

I should mention that the tightness of Steve Hatch’s rollers only effects pre-painted rail. Unpainted or chemically blackened is not damaged. While a looser fit would be my preference for pre-painted rail, I really like the tight fit when paint removal is not a problem. Overall, I strongly recommend Rollee Holders and intend to keep using them.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Nov 9, 2020, at 2:28 PM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

I just measured the rail head width of some Micro Engineering code 70 rail and got about 0.032” and some code 55 rail at about 0.029”. I thought the Code 55 would be less, but the old calipers said 0.029. Don’t take my word for it. Do your own measuring, but if what I understand you are saying correctly, .070” would be way, way too wide for the slot. My experience with actual plastic Rollee Holders is that they sit too tightly for comfort on the rail head (removes paint from rails) and that the slot width on curves makes no difference whatsoever. I use a 24” minimum radius so it is possible that holders on a tighter radius might have a different effect. I think 0.00"1 or 0.002”extra clearance on the outside might be useful.

As for gauge, I believe Steve Hatch’s Rollee Holders are made to the very slightly narrower flange way gauge. There is a slight discrepancy between the track gauge part of the NMRA gauge and flange way part of the NMRA gauge. If I recall correctly, Steve Hatch thinks the flange way part works better at least on turnouts. Personally, I use old three point gauges, Rollee Holders, and the NMRA gauge and I can’t see much difference. I was trying to find a reference to all this and I can’t, so please take my input about gauges with a grain of salt.