Toma 2-truck Shay and 0-4-0 Porter Kits

The O&K 0-4-0Ts, and presumably the Porters aso,  use the Joe Works arrangement with a vertical can motor driving a train of spur gears.  But these gears have much finer teeth than Joe Works used, so give a higher reduction ratio, which slows the locomotives  down.

The Shay drive drawing shows a tiny open frame motor mounted on the rear truck, driving a line shaft through an approximately 2:1 reduction.  Assuming the common 15:1 near minimal worm reduction, gives 30:1 total, which should provide decent speeds.  For even slower speeds, replace the initial gears with a Nigel Lawton square belt drive, at about 3:1.  Eliminating the high speed gears should be quieter.

In the parts section, Toma is offering 7 & 8mm by 16mm coreless motors, which may be his new standard.  If so, new production should perform better than current.

The Shay's motor fills the tank, but a small decoder might be put under a large wood pile.  See photos of Sumpter Valley tenders for ideas.  If you enclose the Shay's cab there is plenty of room, even for sound.  It's a T-boiler Shay, so the boiler is needed for weight.  For the Porter, one might get a really small decoder in under the roof.  Slightly dirty windows all round might be needed, but at normal viewing angles a cab roof can hide a lot.

The English language home page indicates that an HOn3 version of the Shay is already planned, but an HOn30 WW&F Forney is next up.  He is also planning a 009 (1/76 scale, 9mm gauge) version of the 13t Shay, which will scale out to about 20t in HO.

John Stutz

On October 28, 2020 5:10 PM captaindavekrembs via groups.io <captaindavekrembs@...> wrote:

I have had several Ken Kidder Porters and thee look a world better. Hope they are not "slot racers" and have room for decoders.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:21 PM Brian Booth via groups.io <carcrazy832= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Toma Model Works has been producing some nice HOn30 model locomotives.  A friend has the HOn30 model of a Porter 0-4-0 and says it runs very well with it's preassembled chassis.  I emailed Kenji Toma and asked if there was any possibility of a HOn3 version in the future.  He replied that several had inquired about an HOn3 version and he was considering including HOn3 in a future run.  Does anyone else in this group want such a loco?  Perhaps if others express interest to Toma, that may increase the chances for production of some small HOn3 locos.  Below is the web address for this product which includes photos.

https://tomamw.miiduu.com/0633-hon30-kit-porter-8-ton-0-4-0-locomotive-kit-with-ready-to-run-drive-chassis

I have no connection with Toma Model Works; I'd just like to be able to purchase some of these small engines in HOn3 myself some day.

Brian