Re: Staining ties

Bill Lugg

What part of Colorado?  I live out on the eastern plains.

I've got some Fiebings coming from Amazon, so when it gets here I'll give it a try with the DNA.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

On 10/20/20 6:45 PM, Dale Buxton wrote:
All I have ever used is denatured alcohol and Fiebing Leather dye. Never had any problems with it. I feel this mixture gives superior penetration and prevents warping in longer lengths of strip wood. Like higher percentages of water to alcohol might. I live in Colorado so I’ve never had a problem with the alcohol drawing water out of the air. It’s just too dry here! Lol

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 18:10 lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@gmail.com <mailto:lloydlehrer@gmail.com>> wrote:

Bill, wear nitrile gloves.  too much thru the skin absorption is
not good.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 5:04 PM Bill Lugg
<luggw1@risebroadband.net <mailto:luggw1@risebroadband.net>> wrote:

I pulled the ties out of the solution after a day and a half
of soaking
and they looked like very lightly weathered wood.

So, I think you all are right that my solution has lost some
of the
alcohol carrier after sitting for so long.  I was going to try
some 91%
and shoe dye to see how it works, but discovered alcohol is
rarer that
hen's teeth right now - apparently there's some kid of a
pandemic going
on.  ;o)  I have a gallon of denatured alcohol in the shop;
will there
be any detrimental effects from using that instead?

Thanks for the help
Bill Lugg

On 10/19/20 10:43 AM, Jim Marlett wrote:
> I don’t have a clue what is going on, but I use 91%
isopropyl alcohol and shoe leather dye. I just recently
stained some ties I’ve had for over 40 years and they stained
just fine. I also stained some old Kappler ties that may have
been 20 or 30 years old (I can’t remember when I got them) and
they stained fine as well. If you used 70% alcohol, it is not
inconceivable that at least part of the alcohol has evaporated
out and water isn’t as good a carrier as alcohol, IMHO. I
think I would mix up a whole new batch of stain. The materials
are cheap.

--
lloyd lehrer