Re: Staining ties

Dale Buxton <dbtuathaddana@...>

All I have ever used is denatured alcohol and Fiebing Leather dye. Never had any problems with it. I feel this mixture gives superior penetration and prevents warping in longer lengths of strip wood. Like higher percentages of water to alcohol might. I live in Colorado so I’ve never had a problem with the alcohol drawing water out of the air. It’s just too dry here! Lol

Dale Buxton

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 18:10 lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:
Bill, wear nitrile gloves.  too much thru the skin absorption is not good.
lloyd lehrer, MANHATTAN BEACH, CA (310)951-9097

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 5:04 PM Bill Lugg <luggw1@...> wrote:
I pulled the ties out of the solution after a day and a half of soaking
and they looked like very lightly weathered wood.

So, I think you all are right that my solution has lost some of the
alcohol carrier after sitting for so long.  I was going to try some 91%
and shoe dye to see how it works, but discovered alcohol is rarer that
hen's teeth right now - apparently there's some kid of a pandemic going
on.  ;o)  I have a gallon of denatured alcohol in the shop; will there
be any detrimental effects from using that instead?

Thanks for the help
Bill Lugg

--
lloyd lehrer