Re: Staining ties

Bill Lugg

I pulled the ties out of the solution after a day and a half of soaking and they looked like very lightly weathered wood.

So, I think you all are right that my solution has lost some of the alcohol carrier after sitting for so long.  I was going to try some 91% and shoe dye to see how it works, but discovered alcohol is rarer that hen's teeth right now - apparently there's some kid of a pandemic going on.  ;o)  I have a gallon of denatured alcohol in the shop; will there be any detrimental effects from using that instead?

Thanks for the help
Bill Lugg

On 10/19/20 10:43 AM, Jim Marlett wrote:
I don’t have a clue what is going on, but I use 91% isopropyl alcohol and shoe leather dye. I just recently stained some ties I’ve had for over 40 years and they stained just fine. I also stained some old Kappler ties that may have been 20 or 30 years old (I can’t remember when I got them) and they stained fine as well. If you used 70% alcohol, it is not inconceivable that at least part of the alcohol has evaporated out and water isn’t as good a carrier as alcohol, IMHO. I think I would mix up a whole new batch of stain. The materials are cheap.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/