Re: Staining ties

Ric Case

Bill you will find that the ties will dry out and harden! This happens to most woods as they cure! This can be corrected some times by soaking the ties in a water alcohol mixture this will sometimes increase absorption!
Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Oct 19, 2020, at 11:46 AM, John G Massura <jmassura@longjohnonline.org> wrote:

´╗┐Bill,

I have some stain that is 40+ years old - shoe dye in denatured alcohol. Still works fine. When the solution evaporates some, I add more alcohol.

John Massura

On Oct 19, 2020, at 10:13, Bill Lugg <luggw1@risebroadband.net> wrote:

I've got a large quantity (10,000) of Kappler ties that are now about a year and maybe a half old (stored in a plastic bag, in a climate controlled basement) that I've been using Mike Chambers' (https://www.rustystumps.com/RSSMDownloads/Inking%20Stripwood.pdf) simplest recipe to stain (in batches of 1,000 to 1,500 as I need them). The first batch I did soon after I received them from Kappler stained well and quickly using the 70% alcohol/black ink mixture. The batch I'm doing now using the same stain (not a new batch) I've left overnight and they haven't shown much change. I even drained the liquid off, added more ink to the mix and poured it back in before letting them sit overnight, but this morning it seems to have barely touched the ties.

Is it possible the alcohol has lost its potency in the intervening time? Or could the ties have changed their characteristics in a year and a half of sitting?

Some Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Lugg