Re: We be injections (was AIR BRAKES 101.... was Re: RGS #20. Was: [HOn3] Division Point K-27 question)

John Stutz

Thanks Ken

You have a much better appreciation of the potential problems than I did.

But for all that, the injector was the preferred choice for getting water into the boiler, which suggests that it had a lot going for it, compaired to the alternatives.

John Stutz

On October 12, 2020 at 8:51 PM "Kent Hinton via groups.io" <keh_bier@...> wrote:

Based on personal experience, I’d second John’s notion that operator error may be the most common failure.  An example would be dialing down the feed water flow to allow for a longer sustained injection and reducing the frequency with which you need to inject, then forgetting to open it back up when you close the injector.

From training materials we use at Roots of Motive Power in Willits, CA for the Monitor Edna Type-A screw injector, reasons the injector will not prime include:

- No water in the tank.
- Tank valve is closed.
- Water supply pipe or strainer is clogged.
- Injector water supply valve is closed.
- Air leaks in the suction (water supply) pipe.
- Water in the supply pipe is too hot.
- Overflow valve is closed.
- Defective steam valve or nozzle inside the injector.
- Obstructed boiler check valve.
- Obstructed line (injector exit) check valve.
- Obstructed delivery pipe (nozzle) or the combining and condensing tubes.
- Steam valve to the injector not fully open.
- Insufficient water to condense the steam, due to the water valve or the tank valve not being fully open. (See my example above.)

Nearly half of the above fall under the operator error category.

We’ve also had issues with a Sellers MS injector which our Chief Engineer attributed to a partially fouled delivery check valve which allowed steam from the boiler to back flow into the injector, causing it to overheat and making it difficult to achieve lift.

Kent Hinton

On Oct 11, 2020, at 7:59 PM, "Climax@..." <Climax@... wrote:

John:
This is really going to show my stupidity, but with all this fiddling around with injectors and potential problems why didn't they just use a steam driven pump, kind of like the steam driven generators, to flow water to the boilers?  Like I said I may be missing some huge point, kind of like a blind man in a zoo first feeling an elephants trunk and wondering what it is.