Mike Smith
Tucson

Glad to be retired and playing with trains when the sun is up!

On Friday, October 9, 2020, 05:03:06 PM MST, Earl Knoob <earlk489@...> wrote:

The railroads were, and still are,  quite vague in the number of handbrakes to be set when setting out cars.  Generally, the rule stated "a sufficient number of handbrakes must be set to prevent movement."  So, the company left it up the employee's judgement as to the number of handbrakes that needed to be set.

A quote from the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR Rulebook , dated about 1993:

"101. When cars are left standing on any track a sufficient number of handbrakes must be set to prevent movement.  Cars left on grades must also have a sufficient number of wheels blocked to prevent movement when the engine is detached."

I can't find my D&S rulebook, but they took it further by requiring, the hand brake applied, then the air brakes bled off, so that the hand brake was to sole method of braking applied.  You then pulled away from the car to see if it stayed put.  Other places I have worked had special instructions for tying down trains at certain locations.  At the last place I worked before retirement - the Copper Basin Ry - when you tied the ore train down at the end of the day, you set all the locomotive hand brakes (3 units), plus the first 5 cars of the train.

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> on behalf of John Stutz <john.stutz@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2020 8:01 PM
To: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io>
Subject: Re: AIR BRAKES 101.... was Re: RGS #20. Was: [HOn3] Division Point K-27 question

Dave

I speculate that official rules called for tying down all hand brake on set out cars, but that crews often did less, and relied on the air brakes with cars that were only temporarily set out.  Check published or online rule books for operation of trains.  My knowledge comes mostly from air brake instruction manuals, which tend to focus on ideal rather than actual operating practices.

John
On October 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM Climax@... wrote:

Since I model the 1900 to 1927 era this is important to me.  If, as you say, a train set a few cars on a siding did all the hand brakes need to be cinched down or would they only do one car?  Dave