Re: Abteilung weathering.

Lee Gustafson

FWIW, not to high jack the thread or this narrow gauge group, I suggest that you Google military modelers sites as the use of oil paints for weathering is quite common. The use of dis-similar types of paints, i.e. acrylics as a base paint and oils as the weathering paints, is the basis for the technique. Oil based paints are relatively slow drying and once acrylics have cured the oil based paints do not attack the acrylics. As always a learning curve is present and practice on something other than an expensive brass locomotive or a prized scratch built model is advised. Best wishes.

Lee Gustafson

On Aug 3, 2020, at 7:40 AM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

As I understand it, Abteilung is a brand of high quality oil paints designed for modeling. What this means is that any tutorial on weathering with oil paints will show you how to use them. I would do a search for weathering with oil paints. Same with acrylics.

Do a web search for each technique. Then if you want, click the images button related to both searches and you will get plenty of up close images. There are a ton of them out there.

It seems to me that the extra pay video sites like Train Master TV and MR Video Plus have had tutorials on weathering with both acrylics and oils. I don’t think I would subscribe just for those topics, but if you already subscribe to these services, then you might see if my old man memory is correct.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Aug 2, 2020, at 8:32 PM, Dennis Carrell via groups.io <dennis.carrell@...> wrote:

I realize I'm late to this discussion!  I just recently watched the amazing video that sparked such a firestorm of interest. One of the things that was frustrating about the video was a lack of close ups on the finished models!  So that leads me to my first question.

1)  Is there a gallery of photos somewhere that show these gorgeous models somewhere?

2)  Has anyone attempted this process with acrylics?  I'm guessing that watering down the pigments in acrylics just won't leave the same effect on the model?  Or is there another more sinister reason not to use acrylics on brass?

I have yet to paint a brass model which is the whole reason I stumbled on to the video, I have a project 2-8-0 consolidated that I will be starting soon and I'm researching both painting and working on brass models.  There is not a lot out there in the how-to videos on painting brass.

~Dennis