Re: Tapping Shapeways high def plastic

Ric Case

Gents I am printing my own 3D cars and drill out the holes for the 00/80 tap with no problem!
Mine are resin and tap very clean ! If I get a little sloppy with the tap, I just use a very fine coating of white glue on the tip of the screw to hold it in place.
Have around thirty already done.

Ric Case
EBT Modeler
Hamilton Ohio
1-513-375-7694

On Jun 15, 2020, at 8:23 AM, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

I think I would tap the existing holes and see if it works. If it doesn’t, drill them out and glue in the styrene rod.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Jun 15, 2020, at 1:16 AM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Thought about that,  but the holes are already there and just about the right size.  Just not sure how that plastic would take to tapping, ands I don't have any plastic rod at hand ...

Mike Conder, enjoying local openings ...

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 12:02 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:

I think I would get some thin plastic rod a little bigger than the screws you're going to use, drill the car body out for it, superglue a suitable section in place and tap that out for the screw. A small post drill helps get the holes straight. Tedious I know but with all that time on your hands it will keep you busy!

Mark K
Oxon, England (Slightly stir crazy!)