Re: National Narrow Gauge Convention – 2020 CANCELED

Steven Haworth

Nathan, for what it's worth - right here in my suburb of 58,000 people, we've had 1380 cases sick enough to be tested, and 70 are dead.  We've had several cases right in my workplace, and at least one relative (of a co-worker) has died (although this was an elderly person).

To me, this seems far more contagious than normal flu, and seems focused in larger population areas (including St. Louis sadly).  Hopefully more rural areas will be spared.

I work directly, daily, w/ colleagues in Japan, and over there the worst is already past, with low # of cases and deaths - only 820 dead (still a lot), but much less than Cook county (where I live), with 74,000 cases and 3300 dead.  Why?  Their population centers are even more dense than our big cities.  Japan did react fast, I suppose, but I would like to understand why the difference.

I really miss going shopping easily, and all the summer festivals and activities.  Sometimes it seems we're all over-reacting, but then people nearby get really sick and the body count starts increasing.  I'm not sure what to think, but I really wish we had a vaccine and could be done w/ this.  I'm very bummed about the NG convention, of course.

- Steve Haworth
RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/               FB - https://www.facebook.com/stevesrgs/

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 4:42 PM NarrowMinded1 <nathan.kline83@...> wrote:
My reply from the Sn# group...

While I agree it is BS, I don't know that I would call it cowardly. I'm one of the people that is in the group of so called "conspiracy theorists." While I believe the virus is real I think it's less of a threat than the seasonal flu and that it is being blown out of proportion for political reasons I can understand the reasoning for not attending. If big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's and even convenience stores can remain open then why not small businesses and tourist RR's stay open. If masks work then why social distance? If social distancing works then why the masks? I believe in common sense; stay home if you feel sick or if you have symptoms, wash your hands regularly, and cover your sneeze and cough. I've tried my best to keep this "neutral" so please take that into consideration when reading this. Thank you!
--
Nathan Kline
Tiadaghton Valley Railroad & Coal Co.