Re: coreless motors again plus C-18 tender origin

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

Dale: When the smoke from this thread finally clears, what emerges is the following: 

Tenders were swapped between 318 and 340 in mid 1950 at Montrose.  These tenders then followed their new locomotives to their future homes, the 340 to Knotts in CA and the 318 to the CRRM in Golden.  The original Key issue of 318 was accurate for the post 1950 period. Most models of 340 in HOn3 and Sn3 carry the pre 1950 tender that actually was traced back to 345 in the mid 30's and was assigned to loco 340 in 1940 according to Swanson.  C&S photos of the 345 wearing a beartrap clearly show this tender .
As far as I can tell from photos at my disposal, the 346 kept it's tender through out it's service on the C&S, D&RGW, the lumber road out of Dolores (with the temporary switch with 271 as noted) , and most of the time at the CRRM.  There were some temporary switches with the former 340 now 318 tender at the CRRM. I am not sure exactly what tender was behind the 346 when Key released it back in the 70's.  I've seen photos of two and possibly three different tenders, all described as releases from Key, not previous owner generated swaps.  While the history of the various HOn3 models will always be somewhat murky, the data is available for a pretty secure chronology of what the prototype did.  Which model is accurate depends on the time period you are modeling.  By the way, Knotts is located down Orange County way not in Pasadena.  Bob Richardson's written comments on the Montrose switch can be found in his Rio Grande: Chasing the Narrow Gauge, Vol.II p.193.

-----Original Message-----
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Subject: Re: [HOn3] coreless motors again plus C-18 tender origin

So La Messena's book "Rio Grande to the Pacific" shows the 340 in Montrose in 1951 with the tender it now has at Knotts Berry Farm (page173). The "315" book shows this same tender behind the 318 in 1953 on the last run to Ouray (page 420).  

So are we possibly suggesting that because the 318 ended it's service with the 340's tender behind it. That perhaps Dan Mc Key chose to model the 318 with the 340's tender? Or, are there tw0 tenders like this?

Steve has told me that there are more tenders that look like 340's last tender. There have to be at least two. Because the same tender can't be behind the 318 in Golden and the 340 in Pasadena at the same time.

I just remembered something else. While in service with the New Mexico Lumber Co. The 346 was hauling around the 271's tender for a spell.

D. Buxton

Join HOn3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.