Re: Old Brass/ME Turnouts

Robert Herrick

Thing is, all the locos roll through the turnouts and on straight track just fine--it's only the frog where they hang up. Too deep flanges was my first guess, but others must have run Balboa and locos through ME turnouts. I've heard the old Japanese brass, ca 1950's and 1960's, have flanges too deep for code 70, but the Westside is a 1970's product. I've built a number of standard gauge turnouts using Fast Track jigs and tools, but I avoided buying the HOn3 jig because I only needed four turnouts for Espanola because at $129, the cost/benefit ratio did not support the jig. The ME frog appears to be cast. Perhaps Fast Tracks is the way to go after all?

Bob