Re: coreless motors again

Mark Kasprowicz

I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment that springs do not make a difference in model locomotives because they lack the mass to make them effective. I have a number of these C-18's (those who know me will know why!) including the sprung version of the 318 as well as the unsprung one with the wrong tender. The difference in running between them is quite noticeable which I put down to better electrical pickup up. Many sprung locos have had the originals replaced with NWSL 'Wimpy' springs and I believe that makes for a smoother running model as well.

As for holding spring in place, I use a tiny amount of grease though I ws recently put onto Conductive grease which contains copper.

Mark K
UK