Re: Tru-Color Paints - DRGW Freight Car Red?

David Laverick

Looks great, well done. Nice photos, inspirational.

On May 9, 2020, at 4:42 PM, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Two places in Houston have the paint?   Are they Pqpa Ben's and Spring Crossing, or is there another one?   Always looking for good places.

I get down there once a year or so, couple of kids and a bunch of grandkids are on FM 1960 and Cypress area, near that Home Depot.

Mike Conder

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:40 PM Brian Jansky <brianj844@...> wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

I do agree with the point of cars being different shades of boxcar red and pretty much knew that no color would match the Blackstone color but my thought was to get close and then I could vary the shades from there to my liking.

A friend of mine, from years back, does decent at painting models and recommended Tru Color so that is why I am leaning towards using them. Two hobby shops in the area carry Tru Color as well so that is another plus. Also, thanks for the tips on hitting the 216 with a bit of yellow or white to lighten it up a bit or maybe try 202.

My only cautions are the fact that I heard that Tru Color can fog in humid conditions due to the use of Acetone as a solvent in it. I live in Houston, Tx and was planning on painting in a little shed beside my house which is not climate controlled so am worried about the humidity. I read on an old thread on Train Orders about Tru Color paints and it mentioned a "retarder to combat blushing in high humidity environments." but I haven't found out what that would be yet.

I will look a little into
Vallejo and Star Brand as well.