Re: LocoDoc

Lawrence Wisniewski <lwreno@...>

Wayne's problems don't have much to do with China. He repeatedly failed to contact people who became exasperated with his attitude toward basic courtesy in business situations.  He did resort to lying to get out of difficult encounters with angry customers.  He did it often enough with so many people that he effectively destroyed his own reputation.  I never heard of any theft or blatantly illegal behavior, but that would have him running from the law, not sitting in his shop taking orders from unsuspecting clients.  His favorite trick with me was to claim he had misplaced my order form, card number, or whatever bookkeeping mistake he could hide behind.  He totally failed to fill two orders for me for stuff he claimed to have in shop.  Pressing him for a shipping date was an act of futility.  When I read on line that his problems were well know throughout the modeling community and he had pushed a lot of people past their endurance limits, I realized that he just didn't have the kind of mental skills needed to sustain a service business.  This has been going on for at least 10 years, if not more.  I've forgotten the name of the medical condition that Wayne was alleged to have, but it supposedly had something to do with his inability to follow through with things.  I think most of us have basically experienced  a lot of sadness over what all this has turned into because Wayne certainly is knowledgeable, can solve engineering problems that drove many of us nuts, and was a bright ray of hope when his locodoc products were first appearing back in the Gazette.  Maybe it's the broken promises that hurt the most.  I do know that Wayne was active in on line groups when the past explosions of rage and frustration with him occurred, and to my knowledge, he never once publicly responded to anything said, even though it would have helped his reputation enormously.  His silence spoke volumes.    At any rate, while your defense of cottage industry people is thoughtful and well intended, it just doesn't address Wayne's situation.  Wayne really needed to get someone to manage his business and deal appropriately with his correspondence.  I've visited many shops that had guys like him tinkering away in the back room and doing good work.  However, they were usually told not to answer the phone by the shop owner for reasons that became very apparent after actually trying to talk to the guy about something and finding out later that the conversation was never passed on to the owner.  When I tried to deal with him, Wayne was always at the Salida Roundhouse, where he was employed in the afternoons.  The short walk between that shop and his own home must have been littered with Wayne's order forms and phone notes, because he usually claimed that he lost them in his back and forth travels.  I've long since found other sources for Faulhaber motors, but have always wished that I could utilize Wayne's services the way I can most other small time dealers.

-----Original Message-----
To: HOn3@groups.io
Sent: Thu, May 7, 2020 8:53 am
Subject: Re: [HOn3] LocoDoc

Very few cottage industry operations start out wit the intent to defraud anybody out of the value of anything.  Being a cottage industry usually means that you are the full boss, in other words you do the advertising, receive orders, get materials, produce something, pack it all up with instructions, take it to get shipped, and start on the next order.  The one things as a cottage industry is they dont have the ability nor resources to mass produce any particular item and store it for God only knows how long or let the stock go dead on the shelf.  They just cannot afford it.  Yes, I have had my problems but in most every case patience is a virtue and they come through.  You might get mad at the delay for your instant gratification fix but life is what it is.  Getting upset and making threats of legal action and involving the USPS only meets with more resistance.  Put yourself in the sellers shoes for once and think about this.  You have two customers, the first wants a dodad and the second wants a dodad too.  You get the order and then order the parts to manufacture the dodad.  The part comes from China and you must order the part.  You do that and it takes a month to get it on the slow boat from China.  In the mean time you are trying to fill other orders at the same time.  You fill the easy orders first to get them out of the way, then move on to the harder orders trying to make everyone happy.  Mean while the two orders for a dodad sit there waiting for delivery of the part needed,.  One of the customers starts writing to you wanting to know this or that.  You do your best to answer him but he keeps on pestering you.  Soon you grow so tired you just stop answering his now threatening and insulting letters.  The second person just sits patiently and waits.  Finally the parts arrive from China and you start manufacturing only to find out China changed the part!  Geesh, the first guy who ordered is now involving the USPS.  You now start to change things and it takes time because you are still getting other orders too.  You get sick, injured, or move.  That all takes time.  You finally get things in order, have redesigned the new part and have it ready to go.  You manufacture the parts and the second order goes out first because he was a gentleman and had patience to let you do your job.  The first person, being the jerk he was to you gets his second.  Why didn't you send him his money back, because it was invested in the Dodad part that was ordered from China and you could not afford to just let it sit on the shelf for God only knows how long.  Cottage industries are not corpoartions with the ability to have a warehouse and accept losses.  In most cases the slightest ripple will shut them down and its usually run not to make a huge profit, but more to stay busy, as an extension of a hobby, or just the love of doing something.  If you want instant gratification and fast service 100% of the time, go with the major manufactures and stay away from Cottage Industries.  If you feel adventuresome, are asking for the unusual, and have patience, go with the cottage industries.  Your not dealing with a corporation, you are dealing with and individual who may have bit off more than he can chew all at once.
DB