Re: Wheelset question

Mike Smith

I know drill bits are hard to cut, but could one be cut to the length of an axel?   Then slipped into the side frame?  It would have to be reversed for the other side of the truck.    Just a thought......

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:29:29 PM MST, Jim Marlett <jmarlett@...> wrote:

Again, I don’t think so. I think the angles need to be in the same ball park, but 10º or a little more different. The tip of a drill bit is way too shallow. I think it would allow the wheels to slip too far up into the side frames unless the axles were exactly the right width. That would be kind of hard to control I would think. Also, to get the angle of the hole just right would require that the drill be aligned straight with the opposite journal, which would be tricky with a drill bit and a one piece side frame and bolster. That’s why the tools are pointed on both ends and do two journals at once. If you can figure out how to do it, then charge on!

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Apr 29, 2020, at 4:58 PM, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

Ok thanks Jim. That means a drill bit might work....
.
--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL