Re: Wheelset question

Jim Marlett

No. The journal is a minimum of 60º and the axle tip is a maximum of 50º. The objective is to have only the point of the axle touching the journal so that friction is minimized.

Jim Marlett
http://flatheaddrag.com/
http://jimmarlett.zenfolio.com/

On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:35 PM, Brian Kopp <kc5lpa1@...> wrote:

So is the purpose of the 60 degree angle to match the pointed axle tip shape exactly so the rolling contact surface is the whole cone? If the hole were shaped with a shallower cone then less of the axle tip would contact the frame cone and I guess that is a bad thing at some point? (no pun intended).

The reason I ask is that a typical drill bit is much shallower than 60 degrees and I wondered what would happen if I drilled a bit out of the Grandt Line frame with a regular drill bit.... assuming I could get it in there straight by cutting the drill bit off short or flexing the frame.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL