Re: Wheelset question

Brian Kopp

So is the purpose of the 60 degree angle to match the pointed axle tip shape exactly so the rolling contact surface is the whole cone? If the hole were shaped with a shallower cone then less of the axle tip would contact the frame cone and I guess that is a bad thing at some point? (no pun intended).

The reason I ask is that a typical drill bit is much shallower than 60 degrees and I wondered what would happen if I drilled a bit out of the Grandt Line frame with a regular drill bit.... assuming I could get it in there straight by cutting the drill bit off short or flexing the frame.....

--
Brian Kopp
Jacksonville, FL