Re: New Splines

Mike Van Hove

Nice work, Steve,

However, I learned a long time ago, I never have enough clamps.  (and, I have quite a lot of clamps.)

A wise man suggested I use the same glue as you are using, but just shoot 2 brads into the glued joint to hold it while the glue dries.   1 brad holds the joint tight, but 2 keeps the joint from racking.
That way you don’t have to mess with the clamps.
Clamps require at least 3 hands, to hold the joint together, and get the clamp in place, plus tighten the clamp.  And the joint nearly always slips while trying to get the clamp in place.
Don’t ask me how I know this. 🙄

I found the brad nailer really speeds up the process, and at our age, we need all the time we can get, right?

let me know if this works for you.

Mike Van Hove

On Apr 3, 2020, at 11:44 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

Over the years I came to realize that screw or nails or any of that wasn't necessary if you
use the right glue.  For these lams, white glue doesn't work but furniture grade aliphatic resin glues
(both the brown and the yellow) , hold for about 150 years so that's good enough for me.
They are right next to the white glues in Home Depot.
  The dark brown aliphatic resin glue is even recommended for  out-door furniture.
So...... I use it and no staples or nails or screws......you just don't need them
I do have an air stapler and brad nailer etc. but they just aren't necessary.
BUT   they must be clamped for maximum holding power.  Also it's best to smear the glue on the whole surface
of the block  to ensure maximum strength contact.  I just use my finger to cover the two faces then insert the block.
Simple quick and dry and holding in about 2 hrs in the winter.
Stephen
Here's the glue I use
www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/Spline-glue.jpg