Re: Bench Work Fframing

Robert Weaver

I built my bench work the same way (plywood with end blocks) except I pre-drilled 3-4 sets of holes through the cross members (stacked them and drilled multiple at a time) to hold wires prior to assembly.      Then we set up an assembly line screwing and glueing the blocks (2”x2”) onto the cross members.   Then final assembly was super fast.

Bench work has been up for 16 years and not one issue .... and it is super strong.

The upper deck we used 1/2” plywood instead of 3/4” and reduced it to 3” vs 4” and used shelf brackets and metal 3/4” 90 degree angle iron as a front support across the shelf brackets and notched the cross members.    Super solid.

Everything is assembled with “drywall“ screws.   And you don’t even need to pre-drill.  No wood splitting.

It’s the fastest bench work I have ever used and assembled.

RobW.

On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:08 PM, Steve Hatch <hatch@...> wrote:

I finished the basic framing yesterday for the expansion of the railroad into the new addition.
So frame #4 is sort-off an overall. Best I could do to get most of it in the shot.
I cut my 1x4's out of ply wood.  It makes better/stronger joints and frame than standard 1x4's'
Plus it's cheaper and easy to work the dimensions and assembly.
frame 4 is the latest picture.  took about 7 hrs to do all the framing in the 20x20 ft space.
  Now I'm starting the roadbed for the standard gauge all around the room and the narrow gauge wandering
here and there.   Having fun in Dewey AZ......
The railroad is now 46ft by 20ft.
This is what I've been doing instead of making turnouts.
at 78 I decided to build my own RR (about time)
.Steve Hatch

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe4.jpg

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe1.jpg

http://www.railwayeng.com/9030railroad/Build/RRframe2.jpg