Re: laser cut kappler

M2fq@...

gents

what exactly do you need

our laser cutting capabilities are anything (including steel) up to 36 x 55 inches.

how can we help

Gary Kohler
m2fq@...
330-719-0264

In a message dated 3/21/2020 12:13:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, luggw1@... writes:

So, my engineering curiosity got the best of me and I started perusing
Google for laser cutting wood.  At first blush, I've found a couple of
companies that might be candidates: Sculpteo
(https://www.sculpteo.com/en/) and Ponoko
(https://www.ponoko.com/laser-cutting/wood) - there are certainly
others.  Ponoko seems to have a wider array of materials and thicknesses
(up to 0.25" in some materials), but their sheet size is too small for
our needs.  Sculpteo, on the other hand, offers a quite adequate sheet
size (32" x 15") but they seem to work exclusively in 0.125" thick
plywood.  Accubeam
(https://www.accubeam.com/services/laser-cutting-wood-paper/) is a third
company that could cut the cabinet as designed, but I fear it would be
extremely expensive, just based on the appearance and quality of their
web site (unless we were ordering a lot of cabinets).

So, the questions are:
1. Is it worth pursuing this further?

2. if the answer to 1 is yes, we would need to build up cabinet
components and drawer parts that are thicker than a plywood sheet out of
multiple pieces.  Does that sound like a viable solution?

3. What are the minimum thicknesses the group thinks we can go for each
of these components to minimize cost, but maintain strength and durability?

Bill Lugg