Re: Layout power requirements

Michael Dunn

Just because you have a 200-amp panel doesn't mean you need to use it.

Your most expensive cost in installing a sub panel will be your electrician, so there really is little reason other than the nominal cost of the box NOT to go with a 200-amp panel.

You can always ignore the excess capacity, but adding more later would be cost prohibitive... plus, none of us ever want to think about this, it will be a selling point when your home eventually needs to go on the market.

I have 400-amps (2x 200-amp panels) in my basement. Between the house, shop, indoor brewing and the charger for an EV; both panels are near their safe capacity. It doesn't take much.

On Dec 21, 2019, at 11:14 AM, Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996@...> wrote:

I am building out part of the unfinished basement in a new house to accommodate the Silver Creek & Mellow Gulch Railway.  The room is 22ft X 17ft.  Loop to loop from one 22 ft wall to the other (19 ft of usable benchwork) with a peninsula on the short wall.

I won;'t be running any big tools, just the DCC layout and all the little things that make it sparkle, the overhead lighting, and the tools at the bench.  Add an occasional shop vacuum use, air brush compressor and booth fan, HVAC is on a 220 circuit.

I am going to get a sub panel installed for this space.  Any ideas on how many amps I should plan for?  There are too many things to be acquired in the future it seems hard to make a list and add it all up.

Thanks in advance.
Stephen

Life is mostly attitude and timing