Re: Advices on pre-weathered rail

waynecohen49@...

I’ve had good success using a “fiberglass eraser” to remove the weathering.  It removes the weathering quickly and gets into the corners of the web. Some of my soldered rail joints are over 25 years old and none have failed.

The down side is the residue - little fiberglass splinters.  Keep a mini vac handy.

Your experience may differ, of course.

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 3:58 AM Russ Norris <rbnorrisjr@...> wrote:
I forgot to mention that I also scraped off the bottom of the rail- not to difficult for a switch, but it would get tiresome for anything more extensive.  I just rubbed the bottom over a sheet of Emery paper

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019, 6:37 AM Mark Kasprowicz <marowicz@...> wrote:
Hi Sébastien,

I've tried this and gave up! Trying to work through the coating is tedious and non productive nd I've tried fluxes like Carrs Orange and dilute Phosphoric acid. So you end up scraping the coating off but it takes time and seems to me to be against the whole concept. Even after scraping some soldered joints which look OK turn out to be dry (cold).  Personally I think that weather track is best suited to Pliobond track laying not soldered.

Season's greeting to you as well.

Mark K
Oxon, England.

Wayne Cohen