Re: Layout power requirements

Stephen Silver

I have 200 amps at my panel.  For running the layout, what other power hungry devices might I anticipate beyond my DCC system?
Power hungry tools are located elsewhere.  Outside of the soldering iron and heat gun, the chop saw is probably the most power hungry thing I will use in this room.
Well, perhaps a small dorm frig.

Thanks Wes.
S

Life is mostly attitude and timing

On Saturday, December 21, 2019, 08:25:34 AM PST, Wes Garcia <wesgarcia@...> wrote:

Hi;

How many Amp service do you have on your main panel? I would go with at least 100 amps on the sub panel and that may be cutting it short if you add other power hungry devices or tools. Plan on have the room lights on 15 amp circuits and everything else on 20 amp circuits.

Those are my thoughts.

Wes    

From: HOn3@groups.io <HOn3@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stephen Silver via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2019 9:14 AM
To: HOn3 Group <hon3@groups.io>
Subject: [HOn3] Layout power requirements

I am building out part of the unfinished basement in a new house to accommodate the Silver Creek & Mellow Gulch Railway.  The room is 22ft X 17ft.  Loop to loop from one 22 ft wall to the other (19 ft of usable benchwork) with a peninsula on the short wall.

I won;'t be running any big tools, just the DCC layout and all the little things that make it sparkle, the overhead lighting, and the tools at the bench.  Add an occasional shop vacuum use, air brush compressor and booth fan, HVAC is on a 220 circuit.

I am going to get a sub panel installed for this space.  Any ideas on how many amps I should plan for?  There are too many things to be acquired in the future it seems hard to make a list and add it all up.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Life is mostly attitude and timing

Join HOn3@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.