Re: Advices on pre-weathered rail

Lee Gustafson

Dumb questions was the top and the bottom of the rail clean? Did you tin the bottom of the rail? Or did you tin the PC board? If yes to the 3 dumb questions then yes the weathering does prevent heat transfer.

Lee Gustafson

On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Dusty <dustburm@q.com> wrote:

I had a bit of code 55 weathered on hand so I decided to use it to build switches. Clean the bottom real well and solder away. Sounded great. The problem I encountered was conducting the heat from the iron thru the top of the rail base to completely liquefy the solder to get the optimal bond across the base of the rail on top of the ties. That coating kills the heat transfer. I only tried it once so perhaps I screwed up somehow?

Dusty Burman