Re: Frame Windows

Mike Mackey

Hi Mark,

Please contact me offline regarding your 3D printer.

This building was done on my PolyPrinter 229.

Mike
Railroadguy1957@...

On Dec 1, 2019, at 3:44 AM, Mark Rosche via Groups.Io <m_rosche@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I made the switch from FDM to SLA (also the Elgoo Mars) and have not looked back since. I print quite a few window frames (and will be attempting a 3 part Sn3 turntable bridge) and I use a 0.02mm layer height for the very fragile frames (could go to 0.01mm but for printing speed sake chose a bit more...0.01mm would take twice as long) with great results.  I also use Fusion360 for 3D modeling and am very satisfied (SolidWorks being simply way too expensive for private use).

If you decide to go the SLA route, be sure to use ChiTu slicer software. It has presets for the Mars printer that give good results (I still set the layer height manually as well as lengthen the exposure time a bit (opaque resins need a longer exposure time than transparent resins). Tip number two:  when printing „flat“ objects such as window frames, priming the base plate is a must if you wish to remove your prints without damaging them...simply „paint“ a layer of resin on the plate with a brush and expose it to a UV light (which you will need anyway to fully cure the resin prints) for 20-30 seconds...this way when you use the scraper to remove the prints from the base plate, they will not be damaged.

3D printing with resin is a bit messier then FDA but the better results are well worth the extra effort...I would post some pics but my workshop is under renovation at the moment and all my stuff is packed up in moving boxes...

Regards,

Mark

Don‘t take life too seriously...no one gets out alive anyway....

On 1. Dec 2019, at 02:13, Mike Conder <vulturenest1@...> wrote:

Your prints look goo, what "Z' setting do you use?

I was looking at an Elegoo Mars resin printer, but I just "inherited" a Bibo FDM printer.  I'll play with that for a while before going resin.  Bibo specs say that the Z can be 0.05 mm, same as the Elegoo, so we'll see how fine it can print.

Right now I'm using SketchUp for the 3D design but just downloaded Fusion 360.

Mike Conder

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 3:23 PM Bruce <in2trains@...> wrote:
Mark,

I have an inexpensive FDM printer.  I have had decent success with windows and doors.  However I will be purchasing a resin printer down the road.  This will allow me the ability to print finer details.

The photos show my efforts Rockhill Furnace Scale.

What 3D printer and design software are you using?