Re: Getting brass painted

Russ Norris

Hi Steve.  As the owner of several unpainted brass engines (East Broad Top) I can sympathize with your reservations about painting them.  I have several fine locomotives that operate well running on my railroad, but still unpainted after more than 15 years.  However, in recent years I have tried my hand at painting some of my brass collection with relatively good results. I painted the East Broad Top's M-1 gas electric motor car and made the mistake of over thinking it.  The end result was less than ideal, but you would be amazed at what a coat of paint can do!  More recently I painted a brass PRR I1s decapod that I bought on line, and although I still have to reassemble it and install a sound decoder, the paint job came out pretty good.  Along the way I learned how to disassemble and reassemble a brass locomotive, how to use an air brush, and a lot of other skills that I didn't know I had.  So don't be afraid to try your hand at painting your brass babies.  One thing I would underscore, however, and that is to take lots of pictures as you disassemble the engine, keep careful track of all the little screws and springs, and take your time.  You will get through it.

If you are still looking to have a professional paint job, you might check the ads in the Gazette or the HOn3 Annual.  There was an ad in the latest issue of the Gazette by a fellow in Texas who offers a professional paint job.  A couple of years ago I wrote to someone whose ad I read in a magazine and he replied that he could paint one of my engines for $200, but it would take about 6 weeks to do the job.  I decided not to go that route.  Some of the folks on this list may have first hand experience with a professional, and they could speak to that.  Best of luck in any case.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:54 AM Stephen Silver via Groups.Io <ssilver996=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi NG team.  I am looking at acquiring a very nice, unpainted K-37.  Runs great, Has wheels like new.  WSC.  I am not a collector and want this to run on the Silver Creek
& Mellow Gulch Railway.  I also am not skilled/experienced enough to try and tackle this myself, so I am looking for recommendations for someone to do a pro paint job.  Anyone have a lead and what might one expect to pay for this?  BTW, I do have two brass pieces that I will be painting as my first try.  A short cent cupola caboose and a bulk head flat.  I figured those would follow a number of metal castings I am about to start.
Thanks all.